Friday, October 19, 2007

So much happening in Salt Lake

There are so many events relevant to art and sustainability that I'm having trouble processing and blogging on them all. The Utah Fine Arts Museum previewed the new Art 21 episode, Ecology last week. More on that later. Then this week, as part of the Taiwan cultural exchange here, I was able to see Ke Chin-Yuan's The Squid Daddy's Labor Room, a fascinating documentary about building nesting sites for the oval squid. I want to think about whether this should be considered art; it's definitely about sustainability. Today, Salt Lake Bioneer's satellite began at Westminster College, with an inspiring, broadcast talk by muralist Judy Baca, who reminded me how important viable communities are to sustainability. Tonight, Mary Dickson's Exposed, a play about her own story of the lethal effects of exposure to radiation disseminated by nuclear testing in Nevada, opened. It's nearly sold out already. I'll see it in two weeks. This is accompanied by an art exhibition, also titled Exposed, which opened last Friday. This show includes art about the health and environmental damage caused by nuclear testing. I need to go back and spend more time with this in order to formulated my thoughts about it. Tonight I was watching Taiwanese puppet theater and listening to a Taiwanese pan flute performance, so I missed the opening of two exhibitions of art made from recycled materials at the Salt Lake Art Center. I'll also blog on these later. Tomorrow will be more Bioneers, with local painter Jean Arnold speaking about peak oil and southern Utah artist, Vijali Hamilton, speaking about her work with communities in the Southern Hemisphere. More food for future blogs.

No comments: